Thursday, June 7, 2007

On the road, Day Four: Being lazy in germany

Where am I? : Ilmenau, Thüringen, Germany

After the exciting day we had yesterday, we spent most of today not doing a whole lot. With a very angry baby in tow, we picked up the other youngin', my nephew Noah, from school and made the trek to the grocery store, the 'pedestrian zone' (aka the city center with the shops) for ice cream and a new backpack for mom, and to another grocery store (the often visited Kaufland where we've purchase many a bratwurst in the past 4 days) for dinner supplies and, of course, another brat for mom and I. You see, my sister lives in what might be described as an efficiency flat for PhD students with a family, and their refrigerator is about the size of a regular kitchen cabinet. While this is not the regular size for a fridge anywhere, most fridges here are smaller than their American counterparts, so it is not irregular for a visit to the grocery store to take place several times throughout the week. So far, we've been there once at least everyday. Other odd/neat things about the apartment include the toilet in a room separate from the bathtub/shower, the biggest bathtub I've had the pleasure of bathing in, windows that can open two different ways, and a tinnie-tiny sink to wash dishes in.

So, all in all today, not too much to report and not too many pictures taken, so I'll post some various ones from today and the past few days.


--A cool statue down in the 'pedestrian zone'--




--My niece digging into some nacho cheese dip--



--A selection of German graffiti. From what my brother-in-law tells me, there's an unspoken agreement that abandoned buildings are fair game for this sort of art if the artists leave the churches, public buildings, etc, graffiti free. Note the orange/blue and blue/light blue easter eggs around the writing on the first picture.--






On the horizon: a little more shopping then a train ride to Berlin, more time in Berlin, a train ride back, then off to Italy

1 comment:

NancyLilMcGill said...

hahah. Kaufland means Buying Land. ^_^

I'm so excited for you! I hope you're having a blast!