Saturday, June 9, 2007

On the road, Day six: Museum Island

Where am I? : Berlin, Germany


--Mom and I in front of the Altes Museum--

Today was an amazing day. Mom and I spent a large majority of our time in Berlin's Altes Museum which houses the Ägyptisches(Egyptian) collection. An amazing array of statues, papyrus, jewelry, sarcophagi, and the like go together with some wonderfully informative commentary via headphones. The most famous of all the pieces housed in the museum is the Bust of Nefertiti. For years I've seen this bust represented in textbooks, and now, I've seen it face to face, which was an incredible experience.



So many things were wonderful. I took a ton of pictures in the museum to make an album of later on. For now, I'll just post a few since I have precious little time in both pre-paid intraweb access and battery power for the laptop.




Also, street markets in Berlin are very dangerous places. If I'd had the money, I would have walked away with thousands of Euro worth of beautiful artwork.

On the horizon: A little more Berlin, Erfurt, Frankfurt, Milan

No comments: